Saturday, May 26, 2012

CONCERTINA CARD step by step instructions

Hello everyone. It feels like months since my last post when in reality it has only been 10 days. I have been so busy ~ maybe even too busy to actually sit, gather my thoughts and type away. Get ready to see some 'catch up' postings/great projects in the days to come.

Today, I wanted to share with you step by step instructions on how I make my 'concertina' cards. A sweet friend of mine Edwina requested it, and since she does not have video capabilities I will provide pictures with each step. I love these cards for a few different reasons. They have such a unique shape to them. Plus I love that when folded up, they can fit into a regular business envelope which requires no extra postage. Haha, the recipient might think that they are getting a yucky bill and what a surprise when they actually open it up to find a cool greeting card!!
 Here we go...
Step 1: Start off with a sturdy double sided cardstock that measures 12"x12".
Step 2: Cut the cardstock at the 7" mark...which will leave you with a 5" remaining panel. Pay attention if the card stock you choose has a vertical or horizontal design.  
Step 3: Score each of the panels every 2"and fold it alternately to get the 'concertina' shape.
Step 4: On the smaller panel, remove the last 2 segments.
Step 5: On the larger panel, measure from the top edge towards the center by 1 1/2" and repeat the same from the bottom towards the center. Then from the first score line to the second one remove that central portion. This opening will measure 8" x 4".
Step 6: Now you need to add channels in each of the center portions for the middle part to sit. Measure about 1/2" deep at the top and bottoms and make a scissor slit. Make sure not to cut too deep or the inside of the card will fall out.
Step 7: Now comes the 'tricky' part... slide the smaller panel into the slits on the larger one. Make sure that you add it so that where you have a mountain fold on the large panel there is a valley one on the smaller panel.
This is a picture taken from above to show you what it will look like when together. Now time to embellish it.
On this card I used my Martha Stewart butterfly paper punches. I applied 'old school' glitter to them. (I should have went with stickles. I had glitter everywhere ~ and I am sure my friend who got this card now has glitter everywhere too!)

This is the back of my card. I used two pieces from the 'journaling tags' set from Designs on Cloud 9. Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much! These are great instructions and photos. I should be able to do this with no trouble. You are wonderful! Thank you. Edwina Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome my friend. Let me know if you have any troubles or questions. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete